I do not like salads. I do, however, love Asian dishes. This is a lovely compromise to get me to eat a salad :)
In the picture below are all of the items you'll need to create the dressing, but don't let that deter you! I had all but two of these items in my kitchen already.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts (or swap with cashews)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds - I got black & white
- These ingredients aren't pictured here, but I'd add a cup of snow peas, 1 diced red pepper, and 1 diced avocado for more veggies! You could also add a few slices of cooked chicken. Just pre-cook a chicken breast or two in a pan or oven, slice them up and store in your fridge.
For the dressing...
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
Combine cabbage, veggies, herbs, nuts and seeds in a bowl. In a separate bowl, thoroughly whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. You can add more water to thin it if necessary. Keep separate until ready to serve.
To serve, toss the cabbage mixture with the dressing (a little goes a long way!). Feel free to top with a couple more sesame seeds. Then eat up!
Image via That's Pretty Ace