For a girl who talks endlessly about being restless in a good way... I seriously need rest as well. I often selfishly fall prey to wanting what I consider rest to be - a beach vacation. A day without a to-do list. A full-day date with my husband or with my friends. Not unrealistic, but not something I should be craving every time I feel spread too thin.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rests for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
The Lord has promised us great rest. During a particularly tough season last year - I prayed each morning on my way to work for God to give me the rest I was looking for. That I would feel rested, that I would have strength for the day. That I could sit at my desk and turn to Him and just be with His Presence for a few minutes... that there I would find my rest. God is good, and He certainly provides. And now I'm coming back to this... (I think I've finished learning a lesson from Him and turns out I need to learn it over and over. Grace y'all.) I have a full-time job that I love, and that I'm so grateful for. I have a blog that I love, and from that, a community of amazing, grace-filled women reading it and connecting. I created a workshop series with one of my dearest friends. I have several other on-going projects on top of all of this. God is good, God is good, God is good.
Working hard... also means resting hard. It's so important to devote yourself to your work days to be able to take full advantage of your times of rest, whatever that may look like. I do my best to devote a few nights a week to Chris - just Chris. Time at the dinner table is sacred. Work is set aside, and we just talk and connect. Rest for us also means time spent investing in relationships. We'd probably rather binge-watch Parks & Rec and drink a few glasses of red wine (which we still do about once a week...) but we get our act together and intentionally spend time with people we love. It's so restorative for us and for whomever we're with... as humans, we're built for community. So, that too is rest to us.
The Bible declares over and over again the importance of the Sabbath - it's said right at the beginning, "By the seventh day, God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done." Whatever your views on the Sabbath may be, it's glaringly important for us to find rest. So I'm writing today to be completely transparent with you. That's part of the beauty of TPA - honesty and authenticity is of utmost importance because you are my community. I'm not alone in feeling moments of failure. I know God works in that - that "failure" to him doesn't look the way I see it. He can make beautiful things from my dust. But I'm 100% certain you feel this way too, over and over. It's tough.
I'm going to be scaling back on my blog posts. I'll still post about three times a week - often! Especially for a gal with a job. Honestly, I'll probably post four times a week fairly often... it just depends on what my life is looking like. My struggle is that I haven't been giving each post the time and thought that it deserves... I hate that. I want to be providing you guys quality content that I'm proud of. This doesn't mean that every post that goes up from now on will be long and in-depth - it certainly doesn't mean each post has to involve a whole behind-the-scenes production to photograph. That's not TPA :) But it does mean that every post that goes up - even the short and sweet ones - are meaningful and special. It doesn't go up just so I have a new post for that day. There was a season of time where I could write a bunch of posts and have them on the back burner - that if a day came up and I needed something quick, I could rely on one of those. This particular season of life does not look like that :) And I want to be honest about that too... because there's some really, really great stuff going on that I think you're going to love :)
- I'm launching a That's Pretty Ace shop! I won't get into all of the details of what will be available for you - because I want it to be a fun surprise! - but everything in the shop will be easy for you to access, and very wallet-friendly. It's all going to be helpful to you in your walk with Christ. I love providing helpful content to for you each week, and I'd love to dive into that a little deeper by giving you something a bit more engaging and tangible.
- There's an AWESOME project that I've been working on that will be launching this week... seriously, I have goosebumps about it. It is so the heart and soul of TPA, and the heart and soul of YOU, readers. It is good, and it takes time for me make this happen at the quality it deserves. So I want to step back from posting to be able to love on this project more.
- Taylor and I are fine-tuning Rise. These workshops are so close to our hearts, and I want to be able to give them the time and effort they (and you, workshop-attendees!) deserve. We ordered a gorgeous stamp of our logo, and will be making flyers to hand out soon. Let me know if you're in the DFW area and you want to hand some out at your workplace or business! We'd be happy to send you a few ;)
- I'm prayerfully looking into doing more video content - and Bible study content. I don't know where that's going or what it will look like, but it's on my heart and I don't want to cast it aside. I had the pleasure of filming a video this weekend for That's Pretty Ace - it was quite the production! I can't wait to share it with you guys, and there's definitely some magic happening there, with the camera recording. I want to soul-search and clarify if that's something I could share more of with you.
- Blog mentoring is also something close to my heart - I know many of you have read the Blogging Basics series and that they've been helpful. But every woman, and every blog, is different. It takes individual, one-on-one conversations for advice to really work for you and your calling. So I'm fine-tuning that as well! (Ps, give me a shout if you're interested! Eventually a post will go up with full details, but I'd love to hear from you beforehand.)
First and foremost, I'm not sharing these things to intimidate you or to make you feel like your dreams are going nowhere. That is so far from the truth. I'm sharing these projects because they are FOR you - and they're helping me to walk closer to God. So, if you've made it this far in the post - congrats and I love you. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for following along on my little corner of the internet, and rest assured that TPA isn't going anywhere. It's just making a little breathing room :) Love y'all.
All images via Lauren Kinsey